Re: [T3] IRS wheel bearing replacement ?

On 2 Jan 2002, at 15:17, matthew jones wrote:

> From: "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org>

> > This is one place where I recommend NOT doing it the Bentley
> > way. Just do it all while still attached to the car. It's still a
> > lot of work, though.
>
> Yes, I was going to leave it all on the car. It was the removal of
> parts other than the bearings and seals that I was wondering about. If
> removed, are all the other parts re-usable ? I got my bits from German
> & Swedish (big UK VW suppliers) and he knew what the bearing "kit" was
> - i.e. what I listed above. No mention of any other bits.

Bearings and seals are all you will need.

> If I do need to do all this, can it be done with standard tools
> (pullers, hammers etc.)

Yes, a nice BIG hammer and drift is nice.

> > Are you sure that the bearing need to be replaced? They very
> > seldom fail.
>
> 127k miles on the car. Rumbling from rear which increases when
> cornering. Surely not CVs since they don't take the load ? I'll do the
> pair since the other must be almost gone too.

I would suspect the CV joint first. Are the CV boots completely
intact? Try grabbing the axle and yanking it axially back and forth a
few times. Often this alone will fix the sound, at least for awhile, or
change it, just by virtue of redistributing the grease in there and/or
leaving the CV joints in a different position. If it has ANY effect on
the sound then I'd say that the problem is more likely there than in
the bearings.

CV joints are much more trouble prone than the bearings, and they
do fail with sounds that change with cornering because the
suspension squats differently and the CV angles change.

I'd just hate to see you go to all this effort and discover that it fixed
nothing.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org