Re: [T3] IRS wheel bearing replacement ?

On 2 Jan 2002, at 10:14, matthew jones wrote:

> I need to replace the rear wheel bearings on the fastback.
> I've done fronts, and swing axle beetle rears, but never IRS.
> I've got the parts - inner race, outer race, 2 oil seals. All well and
> good. Looking in the Bentley manual there is a lot of stuff about
> pressing out bonded rubber thingies etc.etc. Do I need to follow _all_
> the instructions ?

This is one place where I recommend NOT doing it the Bentley
way. Just do it all while still attached to the car. It's still a lot of
work, though.

Are you sure that the bearing need to be replaced? They very
seldom fail. If you do replace them make sure to replace the outer
one with a roller bearing. A ball bearing there will fail rather quickly.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054