Re: [T3] Mexican motor and questions

> In a message dated 12/29/01 4:07:25 PM Central Standard Time, jezzina@ctc.net
> writes:
>
> << Subj:     [T3] Mexican motor and questions

>  Does any one know where I can get:
>  - a new or rebuilt oil cooler?
>  - the thermostat set up with linkage

Can't you use the ones from your GEX engine? I have good used oil
coolers, but I have no more thermostat linkages to spare.

>  -Oil filter-  The motor is already a long block. Does that rule out having
>  the full flow in/out holes drilled in the case,  What about the kind that is
>  on the pump cover?

A full flow filter is always a good idea. This is always done by way
of a special oil pump cover where the oil comes out, and a drilled
and tapped port in the case where the oil is returned. I don't
recommend trying to do this drill and tap in a type 3 without
disassembling the engine.

>  -Header exhaust- I don't like headers because of the problem with the heat
>  hook up. I know I can run a hose but I don't like the way it looks or
>  functions. I prefer a set up like on the stock exhaust or the berg headers.
>  Does any one have experience with the Berg header? Does it match up well?  I
>  have a nos stock exhaust I was gonna put on , would that cancel out the
>  increase in HP from the ratio rocker if I have those on?

The Berg headers have captive steel tubes to make the heater
connections. These are better than the flex hoses, but you still give
up the rear heat exchangers to do this. I think you will always get a
bit more power from a header exhaust, but there are hassles that
come with this territory: They are hard to keep sealed on the HE
pipes, and they have reduced ground clearance that tend to tear
loose these seals every time you fix them.

OTOH, they are cheaper and they make muffler replacement easier.