RE: [T3] Coils

On 31 Dec 2001, at 18:42, Mark Mcatee wrote:

> I saw you guys were discussing the Bosch Mexican Blue coil. I just purchased
> one because it was only 12 dollars VS. $28 for the non-Mexican ( I don't
> know were the others are manufactured). I purchased it to go with a
> pertronix electronic points system that I hope will do me good? I have an
> old black Bosch in my car now that works. My question is; did I waste my
> money buying a Mexican blue Bosch and if so, what coil do you recommend? And
> Pertronix, good, bad?

Most enhancements to the ignition system produce no
performance improvements at all. I find that the OE black Bosch
coils are as good as you can buy anywhere and they tend to last
forever. The various electronic ignitions seldom improve
performance, never with a close to stock engine. They do give
reduced maintenance since you no longer have to adjust points.

Of course I'm comparing these systems to a standard system in
good condition. Note that adding an electronic ignition to a system
in poor condition will often make things worse, until the flaws in the
system are fixed, so the place to start is always to fix the stock
system and then consider whether further changes might benefit
you.