Re: [T3] Engine Rebuild Options

On 26 Feb 2002, at 23:22, JaransonT3@aol.com wrote:

> Now that I am having to drive my 66 Squareback on a daily basis, rebuilding the
> engine in her will be difficult.  I want to end up with a stock 1600 with dual
> 32 PDSIT carbs.  I will be keeping her 6 volt, but would like to upgrade to a CW
> crank and full flow oiling with a filter.  These are the options I am
> considering.
>
> Option One:  Take the 1600 Dual Port long block from my '71 FI Fasty and
> rebuild it and then take all of the periperals from my current engine and
> bolt them up.  Should be able to do the change over a weekend this way.  Main
> concern is with the heads.  I have single port heads and mainfolds in the Square
> now.  Are dual port manifolds available for the 32 PDSITs?  Anyone have a pair?
> I, of course, then have to worry about an engine for the Fasty, but it is years
> from being on the road and have always planned a 2.0L plus Darkside motor for
> Jane anyway.  Any other concerns with this approach?

I'd kind of hate to see you rob Jane to pay Paul, but that's a reasonable short
term solution. Dual port manifolds are available for your carbs, these were
standard in 67. I think I actually have an orphaned pair, and this would make
for a very desirable upgrade for the 66.

The CW crank will need to be balanced and you should just get everything
balanced at the same time. Berg can cut your old ring gear off the flywheel
and weld a new

> Option Two:  Find a cheap rebuildable engine at the Michigan Buggy Builders show
> at the end of March.  What should I look for as a core to best meet my goal at
> the end of this project?  I am sure T1 engines will be the norm at this show,
> but should I limit myself to T3 engines due to the oil filler.  Remember that
> this is a 66 so the rear engine mount bar is not a factor.

A good rebuildable core engine is ALWAYS a good idea, because it means
that you get all the parts you need, plus it gives you time to do the job right..
The only catch is the question of what the condition of the parts inside is. I
have lots of core engines in a number of different external states. My
preference would be a 70-1 as this has the dual oil pressure relief case, and
the breather box which does not cause a problem when converting to carbs.

You need to stay alert to the different diameter generators. I know that early
ones were smaller, but I can never remember when that changeover
occurred; it was not simply at the 6V/12V boundary. You don't want to
discover this problem on your engine swap weekend, as it would delay
things, because the different gen diameters mean that you need different fan
housings. It should be possible to make a shim so that you can use a late
generator in a late fan housing; just be sure to put a cooling air hole in the
shim!

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org