RE: [T3] for all those asking how to lower cheapest and

On 24 Feb 2002, at 9:45, CAD Man wrote:

> To the best of my knowledge, and by looking at the T3/T4 Site, Yes, she is
> the original color which by that site's data is SeaSand.  On another note,
> that site is a UK site, is there different code data for cars that were US
> Bound? Looking at my VIN Tag my numbers start with "316" which doesn't
> concur with that sites info.  I'm assuming that "31" is the designation for T3
> (or maybe fastback T3) and the 6 indicates 1966.  Where does one find the
> "M-codes" for a US car?  and the L-Code?

You've fallen for the very common confusion between the first 3 digits of the
VIN and the model #, both of which start with a 3 (for type 3s.) The model #
is just a 3 digit # which you will find separately on the silver plate in the
trunk; the VIN also appears there.

M-codes just mean Modifications or options. Different markets often
specified different options in order to meet local safety codes, plus we were
allowed to specify some when ordering the car (sunroof, AT) M-codes only
apply to factory installed options, so there is no M-code for AC or radios.

There is a list of the type 3 M-codes at www.vwtype3.org. You can search
thru it to see which ones might have applied to your car, but the only ones
that I know of which were actually printed on the vehicle were the ones which
were stenciled on the left rear of the pulley housing on the engine. These
only call out the options of the engine and drive train.

The paint code (L-Code?) is usually just on a paper sticker in the trunk. Most
of those have disappeared by now.

There is also another painted metal plate in the trunk which calls out some
interesting info. Dave Hall's site clarifys a lot of what is there.