Re: [T3] Grime and gunk

On 22 Feb 2002, at 3:55, Emhildebrandt@aol.com wrote:

> What exactly does the process of 'hot tanking' entail? Is this something one can
> do at home? Toxic chemicals? I've always wondered...

I believe a hot tank was traditionally filled with a hot mix of a very strong
alkali solution. This would attack organic materials, like grease, oil, and
paint, but not steel. Unfortunately it DOES attack the "white metals"
(aluminum, magnesium, zinc, cadmium) so real hot tanks have fallen from
favor since the days when all "real" engine parts were made of cast iron.

I don't even think my shop has a "hot tank." They have a "spray washer" that
is just a giant dishwasher that works with warm parts solvent, and they have
an oven that they can put an iron block in which will reduce all the oil and
paint to ash.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org