RE: [T3] Engine machining.....flat cams

<x-flowed>Another oddity about my pitted
worn cam and concave lifters is that nothing strange was ever
apparent at valve clearance time.  The amount of adjustment
seemed about average over my pretty limited experience (about 4-5
years doing this on various VWs).  This car may have been driven
hard for a while; the parts horde that came with the car
indicated a prediliction for racing.  But also every part was
obsessively labelled with VW part numbers and notes-the PO who
did this, and who undoubtedly drove it the most, probably took
quite good care of it.  The engine ran fine and strong
(relative to other 1600s I have driven) at the time of overhaul
just leaked a little oil.  Chattery clutch and exhaust leak
(one of the 46 mm nuts on the muffler was completely detached)
made me pull the engine and of course I just kept going.

Now, how do I tell if the cam is "flat"?

Jim Rustad
Kennewick WA
71 FI Square
76 Bus