Re: [T3] Slammed (now caster shims)

<x-charset Windows-1252>I am just now at the point on my Notch rebuilding work where I am designing
and making some caster shims. It will take more than "just some  washers on
the lower bolt" to do this correctly. It requires a piece of tapered
material behind the rubber mounts. This taper would start at .2" at the
bottom clamp bolt and reduce to zero at the top bolt. If you just space out
the bottom, you will have a beam loose in its clamps.

More info when mine are done and proven.

>>0.20 inches of thickness behind the lower mounting point would result in
0.9 degrees of additional caster.  Not sure what 1 or 2 notches of lowering
corresponds to in terms of caster change, but any improvement in the caster
angle would be welcome.<<

Total agreement, maybe two sets would give 2 degrees more caster. I'll have
something within 2 months.

Tom
 Tom's Old VW Home
   Home of the 2.7 L Notch