Re: [T3] stopped odometer

On 20 Feb 2002, at 19:12, steven cooper wrote:

> My odometer has stopped working.  I have opened it up and it looks like the
> die cast aluminium gear is lose and can spin on the axle.  Does this sound
> reasonable?  If this is the case what should I do to fix it?

This is the typical VDO odometer failure mode. I have the tools necessary
and fix these on a regular basis.  The charge to do this is $55 including
return shipping in the US. Since you're down under it looks like that won't do
you much good.

Perhaps you can find someone there who repairs VDO instruments and can
do this for you, or if you can do without the speedo for several months, you
could ship it by surface mail. I could also just sell you a repaired unit outright
so you would only have to pay freight one way.

Doing this yourself is a possiblity, but you're quite likely to ruin something,
as there are lots of things that can go wrong.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054