[T3] Engine machining.....

I was out in Irvine, CA for the last couple of days.  Turns out RIMCO was 3
blocks from my hotel.  Very cool to walk into a machine shop and only see VW
parts.   Unfortunately did not have time to get to anything else.  Maybe next
time.

Question to the List:

I want to rebuild the engine on my 66 Squareback in preparation for the trip
to Parma for the Invasion.  I know that I want to align bore the case, have
case savers installed, and have it drilled and tapped for full flow.  What
else should I have RIMCO do when I send the parts out there?  It is a stock
1600, single port with dual Solexes.  I am keeping it that way.  What else
should I do to create a reliable daily driver engine?  I am thinking counter
weighted crank?  Maybe balancing of the rotating parts?  New pistons and
cylinders?  What about align boring the cam tunnel?  Obviously new bearings.
What about lifters?  I may go with a Pertronix ignition module.  I am also
going to have the heads cleaned up and done by a friend here in the Detroit
area.

What do you all say?

BTW, I only saw one T3.  A Marina Blue Late Square near Long Beach just off
the PCH in a parking lot.  Anyone on the List?

Thanks for the input,
John Jaranson
'71 FI Auto Fasty (Jane)
'66 Squareback (???)