[T3] Seat belt color

<x-charset Windows-1252>My '67 Squareback has those retractable seat belts (used for the USA-only?):
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/scrapbook/67square/seatbelts/belt.jpg

I noticed the actual belt color on mine is grey and didn't really think
about it much until I looked at a couple other belts both in Squarebacks and
for sale at a recent swap meet.  All the other belts were black.  All the
plastic housings were the same - grey.

Did the belt color vary based on the outside color of the vehicle or is it
just random?

What years were these used?

Interested,
Everett