Re: [T3] shift rod

<x-charset iso-8859-1>> Took out my shift rod yesterday (thats what the plug
> on the front nose piece is for didnt know that) the
> plastic bushing was gone well parts of it were stuck
> to the rod had to sand them off. the rod itself had
> some rust and some scoring where i assume the bushing
> was.it is slightly bent at the same location.is there
> a special bushing that goes there or will a bug part
> work?

Same as a Bug.

> What does that bushing do?

Keeps the shift pattern tight, cuts down on the side-to-side "slop" when
it's in gear.

> The shift coupler at the tranny end was shot(bent and bushings dry
rotted)i replaced it with a bugpack unit.

Bugpack unit?

> The shifter itself
> will not stay in the slot in the shift rod. what
> causes that? lastly, there is on the shift rod a notch
> on the side where the shifter goes in on the drivers
> side. ididnt notice it until i cleaned it off.it looks
> like it is supposed to be there but i am unsure maybe
> it is just worn or it is there for reverse. any help?

I am not sure what this notch is, it's definitely not for reverse.

I just had my shift rod out for my '67, I didn't notice a bend in it but I
also didn't check for that, there could be a slight bend.

The only reason I can think of that your shifter would not stay in the slot
on the shift rod was if the shift rod was bent somehow or if the bracket
that hold the shifter bushing has broken free of the tunnel.  But if it had
broken free of the tunnel, it would have been very difficult to put
everything back together.

Everett
everettb@thesamba.com
http://www.thesamba.com