Re: [T3] Exhaust Gas

On 15 Feb 2002, at 22:23, shirleyclan wrote:

> When I drive my 72 Squareback around town or on the freeway in stop and go
> traffic, with the windows slightly to fully opened. We always get exhaust in the
> car, after awhile our hair and clothes smell like exhaust. The car has new inner
> and outer rear hatch seals, new engine cover seal and the hatch is adjusted
> correctly. So we know the exhaust isn't coming in that way. The exhaust system
> has no leaks and is the standard heater boxes and muffler. We think it has
> something to do with the air flow over the car and a area of vacuum at the rear
> hatch. The exhaust is building up in this vacuum and when we slow down it gets
> pushed forward and in the windows. We can somewhat prove this theory because
> when we open the sun roof (after market) with the windows up the exhaust will
> come in that way. Is this normal for the type 3? Is there a fix that will help?

I don't think this is normal, but it is a rather common problem. There are a lot
of possible causes, but you claim that you have checked most of them out.
It is most likely that you've missed the culprit, however.

Does this happen with the heat on or off. If off, or both, are you SURE that
the control valves back on the engine are actually shutting off all the way.

The most common source for this problem is a leaking connection between
the lower heat exchangers and the muffler, but this would only come in with
the heat on. Check for these leaks by running your hands around those
connections when the engine is running.

The second thing to keep in mind is that any time you drive with a window or
sunroof open, you create a slight vacuum inside the car which will suck air in
via otherwise minor leaks. This is Bernoulli's principle. In this case, you may
be able to keep the inside pressure up by making sure that the front air vents
are open and clear of debris. On 71-3 cars you can turn on the fan.