Re: [T3] Collector car insurance

In a message dated 2/16/02 9:34:29 PM Central Standard Time, mrbill@ncws.com
writes:

<< Subj:     [T3] Collector car insurance
 Date:  2/16/02 9:34:29 PM Central Standard Time
 From:  mrbill@ncws.com (bill lobsitz)
 To:    type3@vwtype3.org

 Procrastination time is over, I need to find a cheaper way of insuring my
v-dubs. I can't drive all of them at once and therefore, some sit in the barn
for quite a time between use. Has anyone used a collector car insurance
company? I looked at Hagerty Ins. Co online today and the quote was very
reasonable...$115 per year for two vehicles with an agreed value of $14,000.

 State Farm is getting about $50.00 per month! My concerns would be
settlement of claims and customer service.

 Any feedback on this type of coverage would be appreciated.
 mrbill
 70 squareback
 71 hardtop camper
 63 double cab
 73 thing

I have liability insurance on 13 cars or so and have never had a claim. My
insurer is the Chubb Company. I feel comfortable with them. They refuse to
insure a car unless you have an apparisal. Typically I give appraisals of
$30,000 or more. They don't care.
They believe that one fixes his own cars, they frown on driving the car very
much, but
that doesn't bother me. I only drive the cars to Bug-in shows and back. I
forget what my rate is, but about $60/year/car is ok.

Don Garies in Dallas
dgaries808@aol.com