Re: [T3] automatic transmission

<x-charset iso-8859-1>The gap could be caused by a couple of things:
1. If you reinstalled the same engine that came out, the gap is caused by
the torque converter not fitting into the gland nut fully. When the engine
is removed the torque conveter usually gets slid back (towards the front) on
the transmission shaft. When you reinstall the engine the torge converter
may not slid completely back (towards the engine) because a piece of the
convertor fits into the nut on the crank shaft. To close the gap just
tighten the convertor to flex plate bolts down evenly and the gap will
close.
2. This problem depends on who installed the flex plate. If you are
installing a new or rebuilt engine and you installed the flex plate and
crank nut from your old engine, your problem is problem number 1. If the
flex plate and crank nut was installed on your engine by somebody and you
don't know what parts they used. It's quit possible the wrong crank nut was
installed. The crank nut for the flex plate is a different size. If you use
the bigger crank nut you can close the gap by tightening the bolts but it
will fail in a few miles, then your back to square one.

> question, when installing a torque converter to a
> drive plate for a '71 fastback automatic, is there a
> bushing or spacer between the drive plate and the
> tourqe converter?  I can get the bolts lined up, but
> there not flush against each other.....

</x-charset>