Re: [T3] Exhaust limits

On 12 Feb 2002, at 20:02, Russ Wolfe wrote:

> > How fast would 4200 RPM be in 2nd & 3rd gear?
> >
> My Without Guesswork book shows a 311/361 manual trans equals max speed
> 84 mph @ 4220 rpm
> 1st = 18mph @ 4000 rpm
> 2nd = 34mph @ 4000 rpm
> 3rd = 56mph @ 4000 rpm
> 4th = 79mph 2 4000 rpm

I've never had any trouble doing 45 in second and 65 in third (or 90+ in 4th) in
any of the type 3s I've ever owned. I'm pretty sure that most of them would do
over 100, but I've only done this with a couple of them. 45 in second and 65
in third is usually where I stop, because that's were the owner's manual
suggests one should lay off. I also don't care for how the engine sounds
above that RPM. I know my balanced engines should do much more but,
well, I'd rather get 100,000+ miles out of them than be able to brag that they
will turn 6000 RPM.

BTW, the FI system really can't handle much more than 5k, so that's a nice
built-in rev limiter.