[T3] story and problem (kinda long)

Hello all,

I've been off this list for a while, but I think I will start visiting
it more often. First off, I have a 66 fastback. I converted it to 12v
and put a 1776cc motor in it about a 1.5 years ago. Anyways, ever since
I put in my new engine, the thing has leaked oil like a motherfucker.
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER GET YOUR MOTOR BUILT BY SERRANO'S IN TORRANCE,
CA. They build the worst motors. Then when you try and make them fix
it because of the warranty(HA!), they just "band-aid" it. So, anyways
I took it too them for the last time, and they put a sand seal in the
front where the pully connects. Ok, so it doesn't leak as much.
I know it leaks from that area because it drips from beneath the fan
housing. Theres a little background on my car.

I live in Orange County, CA and I go to college in Chico, CA. About 150
miles north of Sacramento. So, I'm geared for the 500+ mile trip up north.
I tune up my car, make sure its nice and clean, and pack up. I leave
on a Wednesday morning around 10am because its a light travel day.
So, I'm cruising nicely and I planned on checking my oil about every
100 miles because I know the motor leaks. So, I get passed Los Angeles
and start going up the Tejon Pass. I tough 10mile or so stretch of hills.
I'm cruising well, the torque of my 1776cc is getting me up the hills
nicely, and I planned on stopping at Hungry Valley (the end of the pass)
to check my oil and gas up. So, I pull off and whoah! My engine is completely
oiled up, my rear apron and bumper have oil all over them, and my rear
decklid even has some oil spray. The reading on my dipstick was below
the bottom line. I was pissed and starting too feel a bit scared going
400+ more miles with an engine that blows oil.

But, I knew I had to just get to Chico. So, the whole way, every 60-80
miles I stop and add about 1/2 to 3/4 a quart of oil. I cruised at about
70mph with a full load of computers, clothes, and parts. So, I finally
make it to Chico, Amen! The next day, I go and clean all the oil off
the back of my car, and try to degrease the engine as best as possible,
and I adjusted the valves because of the long trip. I drive the car around
Chico for about 9 days, going about 4 miles each time I drive. Then one
night, I noticed my starter isn't whirling like it should. (I still have
the 6volt starter in, so it whirls very rapidly). I figure, "eh, its
about 42 degrees, maybe its just cold". The next day I go to start it,
and just "click". I can here the starter engage and click the flywheel,
but its like it doesn't have the juice to turn the motor over. Here is
what I think is wrong, let me know if you can think of anything else.

Because of the long trip and my motor blowing so much oil, a lot of the
oil went up into the generator. So, now the generator shaft that spins
is lubricated, inhibiting the brushes from getting any friction, and
not charging my battery correctly. So, what do you think I should do?
Take out the brushes and clean them as best as I can, and also try and
clean the shaft that spins as best as I can. I can push start the car
and it drives fine. With no red generator light coming on. It goes off
normally when the car starts.

Any help is appreciated.

Chris
vw.web.com