Re: [T3] stock exhaust

On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 00:19, Ginger D.&Peter P. wrote:
> >Ask  yourself  that one question:  DO I FEEL LUCKEY??
>
> This was the tone of the archive posts also, oh joy.
>
> >The thing to do is to just USE the muffler and upper heat exchangers
> >together, until the muffler rusts out.
>
> The upper exchangers are loose on the muffler (copper gasket gone?).
> I assume this will lead to a massive exhaust leak.  Mosty surface rust
> on the parts, it would be a shame to cut off the muffler.  Now I know
> why all our PO's end up ditching these and just getting a cheapo
> merged header.  I'll look around town for a 46 mm tool, I might take
> you up on your offer Steven, thanks.

Or those copper gaskets were never put in. I have never seen a properly
assembled T-3 muffler where these come loose.

One thing to notice on the merged header type exhausts. Where is the
heat deflector that is on a stock muffler?? The one to keep the heat of
the muffler off the rubber air intake boot. I have never seen a header
setup that had one.

Also, if you tear apart one of the original german mufflers, you will
find that it is a sort of tuned exhaust. The exhaust from #2 cylinder
crosses over to the left side of the muffler, and the exhaust from #4
crosses over to the right side. The internal pipes make them about the
same as the length of the heater boxes.

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org
http://classicvw.org