Re: [T3] help getting brake carrier off splines ?

On Sun, 2002-02-10 at 12:09, matthew jones wrote:
> I have a problem:
> the brake drum carrier is rusted fast onto the rear drive shaft splines and
> I can't shift it. I suspect its been there all 30 years of its life.
> I've made a massively strong puller out of 2" angle and I fear it will
> bend/snap the carrier if I go any tighter.
>
> Are there any tricks ?
> The local club tools guy suggested hammering the _shaft_ since there is a
> little play and the carrier butts up against something solid, but this
> didn't work.

Is the car drivable? If so, spray the splines with rust penetrating
oil.put the rear axle nut back on just finger tight, and put a split pin
back in it. Now take the car, and drive it around the block a couple
times. when you come back, the hub should be loose from the splines.Let
the weight of the car do the hard work.
BTW, you don't have to pull the hub to get at the rear brakes on a T-3.
Just take the drum off the hub.

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org
http://classicvw.org