Re: Manufacturing Co-Op (Was Abarth Muffler

 Personally I would be all for this and would help in
any way humanly possible. We have enough tecnically
skilled minds on this list to at very least manufacture
some simple Type 3 speciffic parts. Jim has already
voiced the fact that he's manufactured some minor parts

> I have a replacement scheme for the little plastic hinge covers that everyone
> was missing. When these are gone the hinges rattle and the windows don't seal
> well. Set of 4, makeshift but functional: $12, including shipping.

 Since seeing ISP West's "Abarth Repro", I've been
seriously contemplating making one for my own Type 3.
Maybe not out of stainless, but certainly out of VERY
heavy guage steel. Being a liscensed mechanic for
several years, and having very good welding skill,
it would not be an insurmountable task, but there
are things that would prove difficult. Like sourcing
the large muffler nuts/pipe stubs and the pipe stubs
that connect the lower heat exchangers and the muffler.
Everything else would be just time and patience. If
someone on the list could help source these, I'd gladly
manufacture one using my own Fasty as a test mule and
document the whole fabrication so that others could do
the same. I know there are several of us on this list
that could do things like this. Who cares if it's not
"cost effective" to do it on a mass production basis.
It seems to me if noone else in the aftermarket is
going to help us without the promise of our firstborn
child, then we should help ourselves!! If a few of you
out there would like to help/comment on this idea, feel
free to e-mail me off list and we'll see what we can
get going.
Marc
1967 Fastback

Sign up today at http://mail.lycos.com