Re: [T3] New to list too...sort of...

Jim,
       I'll be looking at some local places here to see if they have parts
for it.  As far as what has been causing the gen to go out in the past - I'm
not so sure.  When I bought the car it still had it's original 6V generator -
but the PO had already half-way converted the system to 12V.  So literally
every year to the month I was replacing the regulator and rebuilding the
generator.  Once I figured this out and switched it all to 12v, my problem
seemed to go away.  I had not had to touch it for about 3 years, then it went
out last year.  When this happened - I never did find out what had gone
wrong.  I should have asked but only cared about getting it fixed at the
time.  I'm learning the hard way to keep track of this stuff for future
reference.  There is a place locally that I had rebuild it - just your run of
the mill generator/alt rebuild shop.  The last time was the only time that I
had personally re-installed the generator.  As I noted though - I had a shop
look at it to make sure all was ok - I knew everything had to line up but
wasn't sure I did it correctly.  Knowing my track record for generators -
that's why I was thinking there is something causing it to burn out.  My
radio will cut out and lights dim when I use the turn signal or apply the
breaks (all when I have my headlights on).  And the gen light always glows
for me when I apply the breaks as well.  So I was guessing something was
being overloaded somewhere...Is this an appropriate guess?
Whew...sorry to ramble, so much information that's probably relevant to
finding my problem.  Aside from myself, of course!  =o)
-Amanda