[T3] New to list too...sort of...

Hello all.  I'm sort of new to the list.  I've been getting it in digest form
for a while now - just never have posted.  I have a 66 square - I've had for
seven years now.  I'm no stranger to the game but have mostly had various
shops do the maintenance work for me.  I've dabled with quite a few things
but it's difficult to get into large projects with it - it's my daily driver
and I have to have it running every day.  Okay - to get to the point...I am
now completely and utterly fed up with shops putting cheap parts on my car
and am going to do it all myself.  Here's my dilemma: I have basic tools -
metric socket sets, wrenches, all the good stuff for jacking up the car,
removing the generator, carbs and such - BUT I have a problem with my
electrical system.  Somethings not happy in the mix and it keeps wearing my
generator down to where I have to rebuild every year or so.  (It was
converted from 6v to 12v)  Last night I pulled over to check it (gen light
coming on - faintly)  - heard a high pitch whirring sound and lifted the
compartment lid to discover my generator emitting sparks within.  Not having
had the experience behind me to know what I need to troubleshoot - I'm
looking for suggestions.  I know I'll need to trace down the problem by
checking connections.  What electrical goodies do you recommend for the job?
Are there a couple different tools for different connections (battery, reg,
generator, fuses, etc) or is there one good doodad-do-all?  I have the Haynes
Manual and the Bently Manual to guide me thru - but looking for suggestions.

Thanks!
-Amanda
66" Sqr - "Smiley"