RE: E-bay Offerings

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Geez Toby.... a little bitter about E-bay? :-)

The best rule of thumb is, just like when you loan money to someone,  don't
bid any money you can't afford to lose when using an online auction site.
Review seller's feedback comments to determine if a seller has a track
record of being honorable.  ONLY use credit card to pay for things so that
you can dispute the charge if you get screwed.  If someone won't accept
credit cards, then they are not serious about being in business.

As others have suggested, don't overpay.  Decide what an item is worth and
bid that amount only.  Don't get caught up in a bidding war.

For parts, look for OEM part numbers... e-mail and request part numbers, ask
questions, get shipping quotes, etc. BEFORE bidding.  All to often, buyers
are lazy about these issues and don't ask.  I always list a flat shipping
cost or, on really heavy items like brake drums, I give my zip code and the
web site rate quote address for FedEx Ground and let potential buyers get
their own shipping quote before bidding.

Some sellers just don't understand what a buyer needs to know about a part,
etc.  If you e-mail and ask these questions, they will learn what potential
buyers need to know about items and will improve their descriptions of items
in future auctions.

E-bay is a valuable resource for any car enthusiast but especially Type III
owners.  My FLAPS's no longer carries rear brake drums for my '69
Squareback.  They just plain can't and won't get them.  My drums have been
turned by a previous owner and are now oblonging on me.  I found a pair on
E-bay, brand new Beck Arnley's for $30 for the pair.  $15 shipping.  That's
$45.  You can barely get one from the mail order companies for that and then
shipping is outrageous.  How about the $6 NOS transmission mount for manual
trannys for my Squareback I scored a few months ago.....?  There are deals
to be had on E-bay and honest sellers to boot.

As has been recommended, read all the rules, know your rights, do your
homework before bidding and consider using an escrow service for any items
over $200.

-Justin Earl
'69 Squareback
'00 New Beetle