Re: [T3] Fuel Injection reinstall

On 7 Feb 2002, at 9:01, Joe McGill wrote:

> I'm looking at a '69 Squareback which is fairly close, and actually has a
> decent body.  The only issue on the car is that the engine's fuel injection has
> been replaced by what the owner described as "baby dells".  I'm not an
> experienced carb guy, and I know that VWs came with solex carbs.  My issue is
> how difficult it would be to reinstall the fuel-injection that this car
> presumably came with.  As another option, I guess I could get my hands on a set
> of side draft solexes, so that at least it would be somewhat original looking...

This is probably a US car, so it would have originally been FI. Yes, it can be
restored, but it takes a fair amount of knowledge and background to do it. If
the heads have been changed you may lack the place to screw in the head
temp sensor, so such a restoration is best done in the course of an engine
rebuild.

The hardest part to find will be a good 69 FI wiring harness in good condition.
I MAY have one, but I think I already used my best harness for MY 69. The
other parts are all relatively easy to find but will be somewhat expensive,
unless you can find the whole package in a junkyard somewhere. If you are
this lucky, you should consider just making a deal for the whole engine or
car, for parts. Don't forget that there are some relays up front, as well as the
fuel pump under the gas tank.

The dual carbs used on type 3s were downdraft Solexs, while there was also
a single sidedraft Solex setup which you should avoid. The Dells are
aftermarket carbs.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org