Re: [T3] Crankcase Breather

On 2 Feb 2002, at 19:41, Mark Seaton @ Mo-Sys wrote:

> With all the recent talk of clogged breathers I decided to pull the plastic
> cap off mine to see what was what. I found that I have no spring as shown in
> the manual! However the washer inside is a very tight fit- it has three
> tangs evenly spaced around its circumference which jam it in the breather
> neck. Did the later breathers need springs? If so what for and do I need to
> find a replacement? Was it meant to be some sort of pressure relief valve,
> and if so wouldn't the washer need to be free moving?

68-9 used a kind of blue foam filter there, while all the later cars came with a
spring. I think the only purpose of the spring was to keep the washer on the
bottom; I don't think it was ever expected to move.

The three tangs that yours has were made by someone else later, but it
sounds to me like they will work just fine as is.