Re: [T3] Little help with the new 66...

<x-charset iso-8859-1>MartinM=> should i sway him into keeping the
=> 6 volt?? Or just change it over?---I guess
=> 12 would be better for a daily driver ?

The conversion to 12V was the biggest basically pointless hassle I put
myself through in my restoration. Yeah, fine, you can plug in a modern
stereo and batteries are easier to find. That's where the real advantages
end. As far as actual operation is concerned, six can do anything twelve can
do just as well. The problem people perceive is not 6V systems per se --
it's old, corroded, dirty wiring systems. Clean it up and it works fine.

There is no small hassle involved in making the switch -- not like a tube
frame or top chop, but work all the same. If you're getting paid to do it,
I'd say your customer is probably not a 6V kinda guy, and you'll make a fair
number of extra hours on the deal, so it might make sense. If he cares about
cost and knows how to maintain a car, 6V might be better.

Either way I *will* recommend a new wiring harness, the whole enchilada --
that was the cheapest and easiest major upgrade in my restoration, and I
have no doubt it saved countless hours and headaches.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ

</x-charset>