RE: [T3] bye-bye XZX (really)

Well, I'm on the phone right now with Michelin Customer Service.
Here's the story on the XZX.

	Discontinued 6 years ago.  Remainders were kept on the shelf for 3
years, then pitched.

	The agent suggested the Agilis as a replacement, then put me on
hold to check availability.  ("What year is your Vanagon or Eurovan?"
heh.)

	O.k.; I'm off the phone.  Here's what happened...

	When she came back, she said that it may not fit in my wheel
well.  "Are they 165s?" "No, they're 205s."  Whew, I'll say.  BUT!!!!
"Coker, a maker of discontinued and antique tires, bought our XZX molds.
You can phone then at 1-800-251-6336."  Wow!  Whou'd have guessed?

	O.k., I just phoned Coker.  They've got 'em -- XZX 165-15's.
$124/ea., plus about $25ea. shipping to my California address.  Sigh.  I
was just looking for one, but... Hrm... a set of 5, shipped, plus about
$20ea. to balance at the local tire joint... about $850 to do a whole car!
Yikes!

	So... I proclaim the era of the XZX as officially over.  What do
folks recommend as a "second" to the XZX?

-Greg

I have a set of Kumho 165-15's on my '66 Fasty, I've run Kumho performance
radials on my other cars for a number of years now and have been very
impressed with both.  They were about $45/each and you can order them
on-line and are also available through some local retailers

Travis
www.t3.vwherb.com