[T3] Rust repair panel

I have a '69 squareback and I found a rusted out area in my rear fender well
just forward of the spring plate and up a little bit in the radius on the
body. It's rotted right at a welded set and at least the size of a golf
ball, probably even larger when I really get into it. I have never done
repair like this although I'm sure with a little guidance I can figure it
out. If I choose to replace it with sheet metal, were do I look to buy it
and what specifications do I look for (gauge etc.)? This area being hidden
and all; is it possible to just cut out the rot and fill the hole with
fiberglass? Any advice will be appreciated.