Re: [T3] Not quite there yet (addendum)

On 28 Dec 2002, at 17:24, Daniel Baum wrote:

> One more piece of info which I think is relevant. If I catch it in
> time before it conks out, and put it into neutral, it will pick up and
> keep running. I think if the petrol was slopping and flooding
> something as Dave suggested this wouldn't happen.
>
> I think it is likely that the air cleaner is acting almost like a
> choke and making it run richer. As I know that rich = death when the
> car is in gear, I think I need to make it even leaner to get it
> running.

Not to belabor the obvious, but have you cleaned out the air
cleaner? You need to change the oil and wipe out the bottom half.
You should also inspect the air holes in the inside of the upper half
and perhaps take the jointed parts apart, just to make sure that
there's nothing blocked up. The inside air holes may need to be
scraped clean to open them up. I never see appreciable buildup in
this area, but VW warns that this may need attention, and I
assume that this is more likely in dusty regions.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI USA