Re: [T3] I think I found the problem, I hope

On Sun, 2002-12-29 at 16:04, Fiesta Cranberry wrote:
> The B. started up fine today, so on the way home, I backed her into the
> garage with her front hanging out over the curb cutout and had a look
> under the front end.  (lucky for me I'm pretty small)  I found the wires
> you guys told me about, and I think that's the problem.  There's a big,
> black wire that divides into 3 small wires with push on clips at the
> end.  These connect to a three pronged thingy under the car.  A rubber
> sleeve goes over the whole connection.  My sleeve was fairly tight at
> the connection, but the narrow end that seals around the black wire is
> completely shot; cracked and ripped.  I think water is splashing up into
> that and collecting on the prongs.  Can I get another rubber sleeve?
> What is the proper name and where do I get one?  Will electrical tape
> work?  Should I put tape around the prong/plug conections, or around the
> cracked end of the sleeve?

I doubt if you will have much luck finding that boot over the wires. My
suggestion for now would be to clean and dry the connections very well,
then pack some grease/vasoline around the connection to keep water away.
When/if you find a boot, clean away the grease and install it. The
orginal connection had grease in it.

--
Russ Wolfe
'66 FB MT (It drove)