Re: [T3] Removing undercoating?

on 30/12/2002 4:12 AM, BOB2TYPE3S@aol.com at BOB2TYPE3S@aol.com wrote:

> Ben, are you talking about the calking that VW used to fill in the seams
> (seam sealer)? If you are it should come right out as it gets harder with
> age. Now, if you're talking about regular undercoating, you need a heat
> source to soften it and then you can use a putty knife to scrape it off.   If
> you're going to use POR15 though, you need to sand blast it and then metal
> prep it so the POR15 will stay in place.

Yes, that is the stuff, the factory undercoating- unfortunately it hasn't
all gone hard so a lot of it is stuck on there well. I will use one of those
little disposable propane torch to heat it up.

> It actually just clips in place, but if it has some rust showing, then the
> clip part has rusted away. If this is the case you might want to glue it in
> place. I hope this helps.

The lip seems to be in good condition, should the clips be inside the seal
itself?

Thanks,
Ben Doughney

'75 1200L