[T3] Distributor questions

Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago I installed a new rotor in my distributor, and today
when I opened it up it was covered with little brass coloured metal
shavings. As far as I can see the rotor was installed OK (it's not exactly
complicated) and the car runs about as well (or as badly) as it ever did.
The new rotor appears to be identical to the old one.

My inclination is to go back to the old rotor, as the new one didn't
actually improve anything, but why would it do that?

Also, I have a junk distributor in my parts box, from which I removed the
points and capacitor, both of which look to be in better shape that the ones
installed in the car. The points appear identical, but I have no idea
whether the capacitor is the right type, because it has no markings on it.
Physically it is the right shape. Is it safe to simply try it to see if it
works? What is likely to happen if it is the wrong type?

Relevant part nos.

Junk distributor: 311 905 205T

Capacitor in car: 1 237 330 220

Spare capacitor and distributor in car: unknown

The reason I am looking to change the capacitor is that I have done a couple
of tests on it from the various books, that have shown it to be suspect. The
wiring is frayed and it generally looks the worse for wear. The car is
rather hard to start (not impossible, just not as easy as it should be) and
I am wondering whether this may be the reason.

I am also looking at the option of electronic ignition; does anyone have any
experience of the Empi Accu-fire system? I am interested in it because it is
cheap. I have read that there were problems with it once, but that they have
been solved and the new ones are OK.

Regards,

Daniel Baum
1969 Type 34 automatic