Re: [T3] Removing undercoating?

Ben wrote:
>Anyway, while I have the mudguard off, I decided to remove the undercoating
that is starting to peel away and paint the whole wheel well with POR-15. I
got the peeling parts off by chipping away at it with a screwdriver, but the
rest is really stuck on there. I tried taking it off with a wire wheel on my
grinder but that took ages to do a little bit. Is there any way to remove it
quickly (ie. will a paint stripper work)?<

 Ben, are you talking about the calking that VW used to fill in the seams
(seam sealer)? If you are it should come right out as it gets harder with
age. Now, if you're talking about regular undercoating, you need a heat
source to soften it and then you can use a putty knife to scrape it off.   If
you're going to use POR15 though, you need to sand blast it and then metal
prep it so the POR15 will stay in place.

>Also, is the large seal at the bottom of the body that goes from the rear of
the car, over the wheel arch and to the front of the wheel well supposed to
be glued on or does it just sit there?<

 It actually just clips in place, but if it has some rust showing, then the
clip part has rusted away. If this is the case you might want to glue it in
place. I hope this helps.

Bob 65 Notch S w/ Sunroof
       69 Square AT-the baby suburban