Re: [T3] SO close....

On 24 Dec 2002 at 17:08, Hugh Lawrence wrote:

> My car has been out of commission for a while and now I think it is
> pretty much ready to run (I dropped the engine to re-grommit the oil
> cooler as some might recall, and had to de-rust my tank). However, the
> cold start stuff is not hooked up and I am starting to think that I
> need it (I have a '72 where it is more critical than pre-70).

It is almost certain that you don't need the CSV. It only helps in starting
(not running) and only in the coldest conditions. Unless you're worried about
below zero conditions, this is not your problem.

> I am confused whether the switch under the IAD (and on the left) is
> the thermo switch or it is for the backup lights.

That's probably the kickdown switch for the AT.

> Bentley says the thermo switch should be on the right side. There is
> no switch on the right side near the IAD that I can see. Did I manage
> to lose a car part? It's all very confusing, and I am anxious to
> figure it out as I would like to show it off on Christmas.

The TS should be mounted to a bracket on the case, under the IAD. It looks like
a BIG stubby hex bolt with a single connection tab coming out of its head. It
COULD have been mistakenly mounted elsewhere, or just left off by someone.

> I have a 1.5 foot long wire (1.5 awg?) lying around that has single
> wire slip-on connectors on both sides and a 4-inch long wire
> protruding from one end that ends in a smaller single wire connector.
> Is this wire supposed to connect the thermo switch to something next
> to the cold start valve? And, if so, where does the switch get power
> *from* (where it grounds to is obvious).

This wire doesn't ring a bell with me.

The single wire to the TS should come from the 2 conductor plug that is in the
CSV.