Re: [T3] Insane Prices

<x-flowed>They would probably be legal all over Europe with orange bulbs on the inside. I believe our cars are old enough to not need the little E-code, but since they are from Italy, they could still have the e-code. You can get all white lenses big-nose lenses from several German VW stores.

PerL
73 Variant L

Daniel Baum wrote:

I wonder how many countries there are where it's actually legal to drive
with those lenses.

Daniel Baum 1969 Type 34 automatic http://www.qldesign.com/type34

I could go either way with something like this.

Now, if you paid this kind of money for every part you bought
for your restoration/customization, well, heh, yeah, that's pretty
dumb.

On the other hand, as far as I know, these lenses are very
rare.  I have never seen a set on a car, in thousands of classifieds,
or among the wares being hawked by many hundreds of swap meet
vendors.  I know that personally, I'm seeing them at a rate of about
one pair every fifteen years. ;)

If somebody woke up this morning and decided that they wanted
to come up with another set of lenses like this, I bet that without
some incredible luck, it's going to take many hours of
posting/searching thesamba, mailing lists, ebay, and club
newsletters, combing through swap meets, making phone calls to local
shops, and so on.

So, if these lenses really tickled your fancy, would it be
worth ten, twenty, fifty hours of your time to track down a set?  If
so, then $150 would probably be worth it to you.

Personally, I wouldn't put these particular lenses on my car
if they were given to me for free.  I sure would like to be the eBay
seller on that auction, though -- I would be making two people very
happy, I'm sure. ;)

-Greg
(...who recently spent a stupid amount of [gift] money on a NOS
rubber floor mat in beige, perfectly matched to his beige Beetle!)