Re: [T3] new door seals

On 18 Dec 2002 at 14:06, Russ wolfe wrote:

> I have always used the yellow "3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive" I think
> the number is 8001, but don't quote me on that.

This is great stuff, but I recommend a slightly different way of using it, as
opposed to what 3M states.

3M says to apply it to both pieces and let it tack up, then attach the parts. I
find that if you do this you can't adjust anything at all, and you can't get
the weatherstrip all the way into its groove.

I apply it to the proper area in the door and then slide the weatherstrip in
while the adhesive is still wet. The first time you do this you should probably
do a test fit on the door without adhesive just to make sure you know how far
it actually fits in there. Note that there is a kind of groove that you really
have to work the gasket down in to.

If you slip the weatherstrip in with the adhesive wet you can slide things
around a bit and make sure everything is positioned properly before you leave
it alone. I prefer to leave the door open then for a couple of hours while the
glue drys.