Re: [T3] engine noise still a mystery

On 17 Dec 2002 at 13:37, Garret Trask wrote:

> Sorry about that link.  Try this one:
>
> http://tntk.com/VWNoise.wav

This one worked for me. To me, this sounds like you may have a loose screw in
front of your fan. Unfortunately you need to take the pulley, pulley housing,
rear fan housing half and fan off just to get to this part. Use a long
screwdriver as a stethoscope to listen at that area.

There are 2 6mm bolts that attach the front fan housing half to the rear of the
engine case. These often get poorly secured in there and come loose. When they
come loose they can't really fall down, they just get trapped in front of the
fan and rub against it. If they are just left there they will destroy the fan.

Use the "stethoscope" to find the source. If this is it take things apart until
you can replace the screws. I prefer to tap those holes deeper and use longer
bolts with lockwashers AND Loctite.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org