Re: [T3] Stuff going on with my car lately (full reverse)

>   like a bat out of hell, so I floored my gas pedal and threw the
autotranny
> in reverse, boy did
>   that stop the car quick, learned that trick while driving in slick
mud

Leon, or anyone else,

	Can you describe what happens when you do this?  How does it all
work?

-Greg

Done this before on big pickups that refused to stop going
down hill on slimy mud . Done this once slowly on my squareback
before my hilly clay road was paved.

Throwing the auto tranny in reverse at high gear while going
foreward will lock the rear wheels and may make the engine stop
thus removing the effectiveness of stopping power. So if engine is
screamed in 1st
while contemplating death of car and self behind a dump truck that
is at full stop, tranny survival is not a worry, so screaming engine
in first gear creates lots of torque at the torque converter, not
to mention all that Horse power, then throwing it in reverse will cause
the rear tires to go to a full stop or scream in reverse.

Throwing
it it reverse like this caused a big caboommm ! noise back there
and a lot of smoke, I felt I had retro rockets at full reverse (neg
g's),
tires screamed backward and then stopped and the engine threatened
to turn off because it wanted to turn the other way.

Scarry and not recommendable for normal driving . I still may
use reverse going slowly down muddy roads that cannot be tamed
by brakes but this is used with slow oscillating motion of the pedal.

Hopefully I will never use it like this again, hope the tranny stays
healthy.

LEON MARTINEZ

SAN DIEGO AND TIJUANA
off because