From: BOB2TYPE3S@aol.com [mailto:BOB2TYPE3S@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 2:44 PM
To: Type 3 Mailing List
Subject: Re: [T3] engine mount

 Joe wrote:
>We adjust the clutch and things go fine, however, after a few miles it
>becomes harder and harder to get it into gear, things start grinding, and
>it'll no longer go into the upper gears.

 Joe it sounds like the cltch tube has broken loose inside the tunnel(like
it
happens to beetles). Its a possibility that it might only be the rear mount,

but it might be more.

>This is a later model I.R.S. engine in a swing-axle 68.  My question is,
>does the absence of the mounting bracket located above the fan possibly
>cause a problem?  Could this be causing some sort of alignment problem due
>to the engine not being positioned correctly on the transmission shaft?

 This should not make any real difference, you are using the stock 68 rear
engine mount right? If not you should as this helps support the weight of
the
engine. The late mounting bar was for supporting both the engine and trans
as
there are no support forks that would bolt up to the tranny. I hope this
helps.