Re: [T3] electical snafu

Hi Brian, All,

I have a friend who had a similar problem in his '68
Bug.  It had about ~11.6V with the car off and no
load.  We usechargeableable booster pack to start the
car, then we disconnected it, the car ran like
garbage, and was only putting out ~8V with it
running!!  14.6V before the VR, (generator was doing
it's thing).  And sometimes the car was fine,
intermittentermitten electrical problems are the
worst!  We changed the VR with a new genuine Bosch
that I had.  Worked Ok for a day or so then the same
thing.  After much head scratching I looked under the
hood, (electrical rats nest on this car from the PO),
and I noticed that the clip on head light dimmer
relay, (with metal case),  had come unclipped and was
"grounding" itself on a continuous + lead from the
voltage regulator on the back of the fuse block,
rather then being properly grounded!!!  Needless to
say  it was causing a major short, (I'surprisedlly
suprised that it didn't burn out the  HL relay the VR
or worse), that drained the batery!!  Not sure if this
helps, but it might give you some idea where to start
looking.  Try Jim A's electrical FAQ to troubleshoot
yet?  Good luck!

Cheers,

John La Francois
Blauvelt, NY
'65 Notch S (Nubb) Awating RUSToration
'67 Beetle (Bubb) Currently under RUSToration, by
owner
'98 Jetta GL (Wolfgang) Wife's Daily Driver