Re: [T3] Auto Transmission

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 10:19, jason.smith@sarcom.com wrote:
> One more thing,  while driving the new Squareback in 2nd gear I could not go
> over 45mph, I could barely get over 43.  I know you guys were saying keep it
> uder 50, but I could not even approach that speed.  Does that mean anything?

After the drive, did the tranny fluid smell burnt?
It sounds like you may have some internal problems with the trans.
It could also be that your engine needs something. The 50 mph is just
the max point at which tranny will shift into 3rd. (about 4500 rpm). I
would have to look it up.
Check the tune up on the engine first. Then see if you can get it to
shift into 3rd with no load on the car. Jack the car up and put it on
Jack stands and run it through the gears.
If this doesn't work, pull the governor out and check it. There is a
little square drive dog on the end of the shaft, that if someone pulls
the governor out, it can fall into the differential area and then the
governor doesn't work. If this is missing, it is probably laying in the
bottom of the differential on the magnetic drain plug.

--
Russ Wolfe
'66 FB MT (It drove)