Re: [T3] '68 SQ w/ dual carbs questions

On 10 Dec 2002 at 12:37, garram1@swbell.net wrote:

> I just bought a very original '68 Squareback.  I seems all original except that
> the A/C and FI have been removed.  Dual Weber ICTs were installed.  It still has
> the original distributor.  I haven't done anything to it yet
> except change the oil.
>
> The problem is that the engine runs sluggishly until about 2500-3000 R.P.M.
> After that it pulls fine.  It's not that it bogs or has a flat spot.  It just
> doesn't seem to have any torque.

It makes me wonder if the mechanical advance is stuck and the engine has been
timed with a lot of extra advance so that it is about right once the rpms get
up there, or is it possible that your vac advance is plugged into the manifold
and is advancing all the time so that the timing is way too advanced at low
rpms.

Both would be pretty common beginner mistakes/overlooks on a FI to carb
conversion.

Keep the FI dist. it is a really good one for either purpose.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org