[T3] '68 SQ w/ dual carbs questions

I just bought a very original '68 Squareback.  I seems all original except that the A/C and FI have been removed.  Dual Weber ICTs were installed.  It still has the original distributor.  I haven't done anything to it yet
 except change the oil.

The problem is that the engine runs sluggishly until about 2500-3000 R.P.M.
After that it pulls fine.  It's not that it bogs or has a flat spot.  It just doesn't
seem to have any torque.  I expect that the carbs themselves will need some
tuning but I thought I'd start with a basic tune up and set the valves and timing
to stock values.  Does that sound like a good starting point or will I need to use
a different distributor or ....?  I don't have any of the FI parts so I can't go
back at this point.

Martin Garramone
Austin, Texas
1968 Squareback