Re: [T3] New Squareback. New Subscriber.

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 13:46, Greg Merritt wrote:

> > => Do you mean maybe it was the wrong type
> > => of starter?
> >
> > Possibly. Might also be a wrong starter bushing, wrong flywheel, or a
> > messed-up starter mount. But I'd probably bet on a weak solenoid or a poor
> > electrical connection. Replace only with genuine Bosch, remans are OK.
>
> 	Also... is the car an automatic?  If so, it needs a different
> starter which has a supported shaft.  Would be problems if a manual tranny
> starter was put into an automatic car.

There are basically 3 different starters for VW. 6V, which won't fit in
a 12V car unless you make an adapter bushing. 12V manual trans, which
won' fit in an automatic trans at all, and then there is the automatic
starter.
You can put an automatic starter on a manual trans car, and it will work
without problem, if it is a 12V flywheel.

--
Russ Wolfe
'66 FB MT (It drove)