Re: [T3] New Squareback. New Subscriber.

On 5 Dec 2002 at 9:19, Jeremy Brown wrote:

> I am the new proud owner of a 1969 Squareback 1600.

This is a very good year, but it sounds like you have your work cut out for
you.

> I'll give a little info on the car first. The engine
> was rebuilt by it's previous runner and runs good but
> runs a little rich?

Is it still FI or has it been converted to carbs? I see that you've already
answered dual carbs. Now, what kind of carbs are they? There are many
possibilities, since this car originally came with fuel injection and has been
converted.

> Two days into ownership the starter quit on me
> and after pulling it out I noticed the teeth were
> severely chewed. I was told the starter my have been
> too loose and when I asked about the fly-wheel I was
> told it was possible it would also be chewed up but
> not likely as it's made of very durable metal.

The starter gear is MUCH harder than the flywheel teeth, but there are many
more flywheel teeth to spread the wear over so it's hard to tell. OTOH, I very
seldom see damaged starter pinion teeth.

You can examine a few of the flywheel teeth thru the starter hole.

> the locking mechanism on
> the glove box came out with the box still locked and I
> want to get under the hood to look at the fuses. How
> do I get the box unlocked without tearing it up too
> badly?

If the guts came out of the knob, just reach in there with a screwdriver and
pull the latch DOWN to disengage it. If part of the lock cyl is still in there
you may have to rotate something to do this. Either way it should be easy.

Like Greg said, the fuses are inside the passenger compartment, however there
are plenty of other good reasons to want to get in the trunk.

> I have all the windows but they need installed. What
> equipment and/or parts do I need to to accomplish this
> task?

Piece of heavy cord, soapy water as a lubricant, and a helper.

> "hey buddy! One question at a time!".

Ask as many questions as you like, but I suggest that you plan your attack and
stick to one goal at a time. It looks like the previous owner was trying to do
everything at once, and when he burned out on this project he sold it to you.
You probably have MUCH more work ahead of you than you expect. I hope it was
cheap.  ;-)

Buy a copy of this manual:

Volkswagen Official Service Manual
Type 3 Fastback and Squareback 1968-1973
published by Robert Bentley, Cambridge, Mass, 1974
ISBN 0-8376-0057-X / LPV 997 383 / VSQU
(excellent book, complete and well written)

It will answer most of your questions and quickly pay for itself.
--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org