Re: [T3] keith, don't look... (solid rocker shafts)

On 4 Dec 2002 at 19:25, Type 3 Junkie wrote:

> Sorry I didnt mean "cast"
> Jim i think the shafts are Billet or forged , I cant remember it been a
> while since i have looked at them.

They're probably just machined out of bar stock. There's not much advantage in
forging cylindrical parts, unless you're making LOTS of them.

I really hate the term billet as it gets overused in the VW aftermarket. You
won't ever find a machinist using this term. People have jumped to the
conclusion that it means something special, as in specially strong, while in
reality if you machine something from a billet it just means that you started
with a really big piece of metal and ended up with a little finished part and a
lot of scrap. Better they should tell us what alloy they used. Then we'd know
something.
-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org