Re: [T3] The "Freeway Flyer" transmission

<x-flowed windows-1252>

Keith Park wrote:

Now I could swear that my old 73 Square was ALSO like this... and it was purchased in Germany too... could this have been a German market option to cruise the Autobahn's??

I did the math on this, and I found that your R&P has a 3.875:1 ratio. Stock 1500/1600 is 4.125:1. The 3.875 was installed in 74-75 Superbeetles in Europe (possibly in Cabrios as well), my guess is to reduce fuel consumption in the middle of the energy crisis. This R&P was not offered in the US models afaik, but I bet it could be bought as a dealer-installed option for reduced rpms at the autobahn. I want one of these as well, I might as well just try to find the complete tranny and swap it in as a complete unit.

PerL
73 Variant L