Re: [T3] blazing hot coil

On 28 Aug 2002, at 13:53, Matthew_Russell@ziba.com wrote:

> why would the coil get blazing hot?

If you leave the key on, you leave voltage applied to the hot side of the coil. If
the engine happens to have stopped with the points closed the coil will draw
current according to its DC resistance, which is on the order of 4 Ohms. This
is a power dissipation of ~35 Watts. As a comparison, see how long you can
keep your hand wrapped around a 25W light bulb.

This can be hard on the coil, but it is harder on the points.

Don't leave the key ON for long periods with the engine off. If I have to do
this, I always disconnect the points wire from the coil.