[T3] Front axle (was: grease)

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Hi al,

I just spent a rather unpleasant time getting acquainted with my car's front
axle. The idea is that eventually I am going to pump some grease into it. I
found the 4 grease nipples and was surprised to find that 3 of them are
easily accesiible from under the front of the car.

The problem is that the whole assembly was incredibly dirty. It was caked in
inch-thick sticky, oily, greasy, filthy muck. I went at it with my scraper
and got most of it off, but it's going to need more than that. So: what kind
of solvent is it safe to use? Can I use a degreaser, or carb-spray or
something? Particularly I need to clean around the grease nipples, which are
more or less buried in muck.

Regards,

Daniel Baum
1969 Type 34 automatic